Quality Management Technician
40 hours per week
Mona Island Dairy
Ref : FSC-JNB-218
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- To analyse existing industry practices within the Industrial partners’ premises and implement interventions that aim to improve business operations.
- Identify the steps needed to embed improvements within the industrial partner’s premises and manage the implementation of changes in accordance with good management practice and in compliance with relevant legislation and industry technical instructions.
- To efficiently implement Food Safety and Quality Management Systems via a variety of methods, using a structured approach and to an agreed timetable in line with business objectives.
- To support the attainment of accreditation to BRCGS START! Global Markets – Food Safety INTERMEDIATE and work towards and support the attainment of BRCGS Global standard –Food Safety Version 8.
- Undertake a formal evaluation of the project and report.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities include the support of the following:
- On-line quality checks (e.g. labelling checks) in production as required
- Implementation of the HACCP system and monitoring of CCPs within the factory via critical staff
- Implementation of the Quality Management System in line with accreditation standard requirements
- Internal auditing of Good Manufacturing Practice & processes, to include factory environment, staff facilities, exterior & fabrication of the building, and product quality audits
- Supplier approval and monitoring and ensure intake raw materials and paperwork adhere to specifications
- Ensuring traceability procedures are followed within the factory
- Carrying out forward and backward mass balance traceability checks
- Glass and plastics checks
- Allergen control and verification, ensuring the pre-requisite programme is followed
- Environmental swabbing, ATP, Hand Swabbing, sample collection as per the schedule and critical assessment of results
- Hygiene Standards verification and sign off
- Monitoring non-conformance and implementation of corrective actions and root cause analysis when required
- Liaise with the NPD process to ensure that new products are integrated into the site food safety controls and quality system, with a view to eventually managing the NPD process
- Implement and manage the complaints procedure, including customer liaison and investigation of the issues including root cause analysis where applicable.
- Assist with third party audits and customer visits
- Assist with implementing procedures through training of site personnel
- Specification collation and review process
- Training competency assessments
- Support regulatory compliance
- Horizon scanning and reporting
1. Qualifications (Essential):
HNC / D or above OR Experience at a supervisory level within the food industry within quality assurance, new product development, or production.
BSc (Hons) in any science subject or equivalent
A driving licence or access to transport
2. Knowledge (Essential):
Project specific knowledge relating to themes within the Scheme (e.g. food safety/microbiology, technical systems, new product development etc.)
Understanding of statutory requirements and their impact upon the working environment.
3. Skills and Abilities relating to role (Essential):
Computer literate, including, information searching, databases and spreadsheets.
Skills and Abilities relating to role (Desirable):
Interpersonal skills to relate to a variety of professionals, clients and food manufacturing personnel in a multi-cultural environment.
4. Experience paid / unpaid (Essential):
Relevant industrial experience is essential if the education / qualification specifications are not fully met. Experience may include sector specific or exposure to food or food related industries.
Experience paid / unpaid (Desirable):
Industrial work experience in the food industry.
5. Other Requirements (Essential):
Demonstrable ambition to develop a management career in the food industry.
Organised and diligent, with the ability to follow-up tasks to ensure timely completion.
Ability to develop working relationships with organisations and business partners.
Willingness to undertake further training/development specific to the project goals and objectives.
Self-motivation, enthusiasm and ability to work under own initiative.
Appreciation of the importance of confidentiality.
Ability and willingness to travel to multiple sites, Grwp Llandrillo Menai and other locations.
Willingness to work as part of a team, including on the line when necessary in order to verify processes and procedures.
Other Requirements (Desirable):
Creative thinker, able to put ideas into practice.
40 hours per week (Typically 08:00 – 16:00 / Mon – Friday)
(2 x 15 minute coffee breaks-paid, 1 x 30 minute lunch break-unpaid)
21 months or until end March 2023
Knowledge Transfer Affiliate
The Grwp Llandrillo Menai Food Technology Centre, in collaboration with Food Innovation Wales, has a series of fixed-term full-time and part-time positions for Knowledge Exchange Affiliates to work within Small to Medium Enterprise (SME) companies in the food manufacturing sector in Wales.
The Affiliate will work with Industrial Supervisors in approved partner organisations to support projects in a range of areas within this sector of the Welsh economy.
This project provides an opportunity to work in partnership with Mona Island Dairy, and the Food Technology Centre.
Mona Island Dairy has now created one of Europe’s most up-to-date and environmentally friendly cheese production plants, based at Mona Industrial Park, Anglesey.
When the founders have completed the £15 million cheese production unit and commence production in Autumn 2021, the plant will have an initial capacity of 22 million litres of milk per year, which will be converted into a range of premium Welsh cheeses. The project was started in 2018 and the factory build is nearing completion.
Commissioning will start in Summer 2021 and commercial operation will start in the autumn.
The Food Technology Centre offers technical support, NPD services and training to the food industry. http://www.foodtech-llangefni.co.uk/
The aim of the project is:
To assist in the development the Quality Management System to improve processes and procedures both on the factory floor and in terms of documentation, leading to implementation of accreditation initially BRC START and leading to BRC V8 at the site. This role is 50% factory-based and 50% office-based.
The project will involve creating a gap analysis against the new BRC standard V8. This will include a variety of audit formats to assist with closing gaps in the system with the aim of becoming fully compliant and accredited. This will be done with the assistance of, and in conjunction with the current Technical Manager. The role will involve a number of technical duties which will help design and implement the site’s compliance against food safety, quality and legislative parameters and help drive improvements in quality, consistency and efficiency across the manufacturing process.
The successful applicant will receive support and training as part of this 24-month HELIX Affiliate programme, largely based at the production site at Mona Industrial Park, Anglesey, North Wales.